Translate

Friday 15 November 2013

INTERVIEW: My Mum Taught Me All Me About Fashion - Alex Ekubo

In an interview with punch, model and a Nollywood actor Alex ekubo talks  about his fashion and style...read below

Do you think there is a difference between style and fashion?

Yes. Fashion is the general trend while style is personal. What is trending might not suit your individual style. So, it is best to find what works for you; that’s style. It is your personal style.

What influences your style?

There are several factors that influence my style; my body type, comfort, skin colour and image. They all contribute to building my personal style. I always want to be as comfortable as possible in whatever I wear. While picking what suits my body structure, it must complement my skin colour and everything that creates my image. As it is said, ‘Dress how you want to be addressed.’

What do you love wearing, casuals or suits or even native attires?

I rock all of these very well. Being a model has helped me greatly in this area, because as a runway and photo model, we are taught to know that our body is a hanger. So, we have to make whatever is given to us work.

What is your fashion weakness?

Perfumes, wristwatch, shoes, all three of them are my weakness. However, I would give perfumes a higher preference. I love to look fresh and smell good; it creates a lasting impression.

What is that fashion item you cannot leave home without?

I can’t leave home without a good scent on.

What is the most expensive fashion item you own and how much did it cost?

For modesty’s sake, let’s not talk about price; let’s just say I own some very good watches, shoes and perfumes.

What fashion item do you admire on a lady?

I love a lady that smells good.  I’m really sorry this interview is starting to sound like a paid perfume advert, but that is because you can’t overemphasise how important it is to smell good, a good smelling lady can get a lot from me.

When shopping, do you buy made in Nigeria brands?

I make it a point of duty to buy and encourage Nigerian designers. They are doing really great work and matching their foreign counterparts. As a matter of fact, all my suits are homemade. I don’t own a single foreign suit, and trust me I own quite a lot of suits. I think it is the greatest act of patriotism that Nigerians buy made in Nigeria goods.

Are you still into modelling or you have quit it for acting?

Once a model, always a model, I can never quit modelling. Tyson Beckford, the world famous model, is 42 and still ripping runways and adorning billboards the world over. I’m just getting warmed up.

How long have you been a model?

I’ve been modelling professionally for over three years now, after my emergence as the runner-up in the second Mr. Nigeria contest in 2010.

Has been a model helped to enhance your style?

Being a model has hugely influenced my style. I have been exposed to a lot of designers, creativity and style in the fashion world.  It’s a really colourful and talent-filled world, and I’m overjoyed to be a part of it.

Do you think you would have been more popular than this in the entertainment scene if you had emerged the winner of Mr. Nigeria 2010?

I would like to say a huge thank you to the Bruce Family and Silverbird for creating the Mr. Nigeria platform. It is upon which I stand and spring forth to greater heights, regardless of being a runner up. I am happy with my position and I believe I have been able to rise above that and keep the flag flying. Hopefully, the Silverbird family are proud of me, as I would always remain a loyal brand ambassador to the organisation that started me off in the entertainment world with some good credit.

What is the best fashion item gift you have ever got?

Sometime last year, I got a customised pair of shoes from a young Nigerian shoe designer, Chibuzor Bosah of  PUSH. It was an exclusive range and it had my name on it. While I gave my friend a customised tee shirt from Micheal Chibogx Outfit “ Thots On Tees “ and I think the friend greatly appreciated it.

When stepping out for an event, what do you bear in mind when it comes to dressing?

Comfort. My comfort is very paramount to me. Most of these events run into hours and I want to be comfortable as well as good looking. I don’t want to have to run to the bathroom every second to adjust my shoe or outfit.

Share some common errors you see men make that irk you?

Not just men but people in general; people dress in outfits that are very tight. Cut yourself some slack, give your body room to breathe; fashion is not that serious.

While growing up, would you consider yourself a fashionable kid?

Yes, my mum, Mrs. Jane Ekubo-Okwaraeke, is a very fashionable woman. She even owns her fashion label. She raised me up to match my colours and taught me all I know about fashion and style.

When it comes to fashion, did you take after your father or your mother?

My Mother is the fashionista of the family. My Dad really can’t be bothered.

Being a fashionable person, have you considered having a clothing line or venturing into fashion fully?

My style is ‘preppy’ yet classy. I would not mind having a clothing line. Life is all about sharing and it is humbling to know that people appreciate my sense of style and want to emulate it. The least I can do is to give them a chance to do that.

Do you agree that men can’t experiment with colours and clothes like women?

Well, today’s men wear those daring colours and pull them off well. Colouring in style is relative; a colour that makes me might mar you, but I’m of the opinion that colour is unisex.

Being a fashionable person, you would get hit-on a lot by women. What are some hilarious pick-up lines you have heard from a lady?

A lady once called me and said, ‘hey you’re doing really well in your career as an actor, you are making giant strides, why don’t you come over to my house let me stroke the giant in your pants.’ I think that was hilarious and cute, but I give her a hundred per cent for originality. Some ladies have gone as far as writing my mum on social media, telling her how great a daughter in-law they would be, listing their qualities begging my mum to convince me to give them a chance. A lot of them send me indecent photos and proposals, telling me of things they want to do to my body.

How do you cope with female fans?

I handle them politely and as mature as I possibly can. I’m a grown man so, I make grown up choices.

Credit: PUNCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LATEST POST