Translate

Thursday 12 December 2013

Man who Interpreted With Fake signs at Mandela's memorial Said He Was Hearing Voices On His Head

The organizers of the Mandela Memorial had come under serious stick after it was discovered that the person interpreting into sign language for deaf people was making things up.

The interpreter, identified as Thamsanqa Jantjie, 34, said he started hearing voices in his head and hallucinating, resulting in gestures which made no sense during the memorial, which was watched by millions of TV viewers across the globe.

Mr Jantjie has apologised for the incident and said he did not know what triggered the attack, saying he took medication for his schizophrenia.

He told Johannesburg’s Star newspaper: ‘There was nothing I could do. I was alone in a very dangerous situation. I tried to control myself and not show the world what was going on.

‘I am very sorry. It’s the situation I found myself in.’

Viewers saw Mr Jantjie interpreting on Tuesday at the Mandela memorial attended by leaders from around the world, but South Africa’s leading deaf association yesterday claimed he was a fake and said he was inventing signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LATEST POST